269 billions of e-mails leave daily, and 60% of them are almost Spam. The wished e-mails are not more than annoying, they are illegal.
The e-mail is an important part of marketing, which means that the marketing professionals must receive information on the laws related to the e-mail and on how maintaining to the clients and governments satisfied with the e-mails that they send.
We begin with a pair of definitions: greymail versus. Spam.
Greymail is not Spam
Greymail is e-mails of marketing to which the contacts have subscribed or another one in a while, but they especially do not want them in its inboxes. For example, when an employee of payment in a store asks for an email address as part of the payment process, a client can occur it because she does not mean that no. Then, e-mails per week of the organization receive 2-3, but it is possible that they are not it jeopardize absolutely with the e-mails.
Greymail not is illegal (supposing that their e-mails offer an option to cancel the subscription to the list), but it can filter, which causes that their commercialization of e-mails is less effective. For example, the e-mails identified as commercial in Gmail often finish automatically in the folder Promotions, and not in the main inbox. From a marketing perspective, greymail affects the open metric rates and. If its list of e-mail is mainly of clients who are apathetic to their messages, their metric ones will be lower. In order to avoid that this happens, the tools of CRM often have an option to exclude the clients with under shipment commitment, or can clean their lists regularly to include the clients it only jeopardize.
Spam is Spam
Technically, the wished e-mails do not fulfill one or more of the following criteria:
- Not solicitd
- Envoy to many people
- Unknown or hidden sender
You knew that the name of the wished e-mail does not come from Spam, the tinned meat and a sketch of a sketch in the Flying Circus of Monty Python?
The Spam has malicious intentions generally (all we have seen the questionable e-mails asking for money or promising incredible things), but not always takes that form. In fact, an e-mail totally acceptable envoy by a reputation company can be Spam, if it does not fulfill the laws against the mail nonwished. And if accidentally you send Spam as drug dealer, it can cost to you.
The Spam is illegal
The main law that governs the commercial e-mail in the United States is CAN-SPAM. It was implemented in 2003 to protect the consumers of e-mails nonwished or hostile. The violation of the law can cost to the organizations up to by email separated electronic $ 40.654. A minute is taken to imagine that her organization sends an e-mail that violates CAN-SPAM to 100 people accidentally. It could be subject to fines of more than $ 4 million. By an e-mail, envoy to only 100 people. As salesman, it is fundamental to make sure that their e-mails fulfill. The good news is that, once you know it, it is not difficult to follow the law.
Which are you rule and how it can make sure that their e-mails are compatible?
- It does not buy e-mail lists. The good things rarely come from bought lists of mail. The quality of the lead is generally weak, and there is no form to know if the members of the list or have stopped receiving their e-mails or if the list were created by illegal means.
- Make sure that the subscribers in their lists have subscribed really. Many e-mail clients require that she marks a square that recognizes that their subscribers have subscribed, but even if hers does not need to be sure that all the people to which she sends e-mails have told him that they want them.
- To include information of subscription loss. She facilitates to the people the option of not participating if they do not wish to continue receiving his e-mails.
- To honor the loss requests immediately. By law, she is ten to fulfill the exclusion requests. And, you are not one of those people whom another e-mail sends recognizing that somebody has been terminated. They took the time to terminate itself because they were tired of his e-mails, reason why the latest that want to see is to receive more post office of you. That they are free.
- Make sure that the line of subject (as well as the fields For, Of and Responding a) is necessary. It does not deceive his adressees in an attempt to obtain majors rates of click with inexact lines of subject or being falsified the information of the headed one.
- To include a physical address. It must have a valid email address, since this generally adds credibility to its e-mail and the organization, and provides another form so that the adressees can terminate themselves if they need it.
- It supervises to the organizations of third parties that send e-mails in their name. If another organization is handling to her email marketing, you still are responsible for the legality of his e-mails.
When applied these aren't rules? Only when the e-mail that it is sending is transactional (and noncommercial). If the main intention of the e-mail is transactional, it does not have to contain false information of routing, but he is exempt of rules CAN-SPAM. For example, if its purchase sends e-mails to the clients being thankful to them in line and includes details of orders and information of shipment, this it is a transactional e-mail that does not have the same requirements that an e-mail that promotes its products.
If you are new in by email electronic marketing, and now you are a little uncomfortable with the dark side of the e-mail, MailChimp has a useful guide on the common errors of the e-mail and how to avoid them.
The salesmen even receive Spam
If he is receiving mail nonwished of another organization, or if one subscribed to an e-mail list that does not provide a form to terminate itself to him, there is hope. He resends the messages to the FTC in email@example.com and includes:
- Its supplier of e-mail
- The supplier of e-mail of the sender, if it can find it.
If it has been terminated of an e-mail list and still it receives the e-mails, it can make a complaint before the FTC.
The shining side
Not to follow the CAN-SPAM dispositions can mean problems for its e-mails of marketing and their business. But the fulfillment has many benefits. Not only its risk is reduced of being demanded, but their rates of opening and their metric ones of commitment probably are higher. To send an e-mail to the people who actively are interested in their content means that it will be more probable that they participate with the e-mails and their business. In addition, the shipment of e-mails of high quality to lists of potential clients and clients of high quality generate confidence in its brand.